Temporary Worker Visa (T5)

A Temporary Worker Visa, also known as a T5 visa, is a type of visa that allows foreign nationals to work in the United Kingdom for a temporary period. The T5 visa category encompasses several subcategories, each designed for different types of temporary work.

If you’re a temporary worker aiming to enter the UK for a job, don’t hesitate to reach out to Immigration Secure. Get in touch with our team by dialing +44208337709. We’re here to assist you.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Country Code followed by the local number
Summary of Immigration History

An Overview of the Temporary Worker Visa (T5)

The Temporary Worker Visa, commonly referred to as the T5 Visa, is a specialized work visa designed to grant individuals temporary permission to work in the United Kingdom. This visa category, previously known as the Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa, encompasses various subcategories, each tailored to specific types of work and durations of stay in the UK, which can range from 6 months to 2 years.

Who Can Apply for the Temporary Worker Visa?

Individuals seeking to apply for the Temporary Worker Visa can do so for a variety of purposes, including temporary seasonal work, participation in sporting events, religious or charity work, work experience, training, involvement in Overseas Government Language Programs, research, or fellowships through government-authorized exchange schemes. Additionally, while holding a Temporary Worker Visa, you can typically work in the job specified on your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), engage in studies, take on a secondary job for up to 20 hours per week, and bring certain family members as dependents.

Categories of Temporary Worker Visas

The Temporary Worker Visa is divided into several categories, each catering to different types of roles and occupations. These include:

Creative Worker Visa and International Sportsperson Visa

If you intend to work or perform in the UK for up to 12 months as a sportsperson, entertainer, or creative artist, you can apply for a Temporary Worker Visa under the Creative Worker Visa or the International Sportsperson Visa category. These were previously combined under the Tier 5 Creative and Sporting Visa but are now separate categories. It’s essential to note that sportspeople applying for the International Sportsperson Visa must meet specific criteria, including international recognition in their field or a substantial contribution to their sport’s highest level. A sponsor and a valid certificate of sponsorship endorsed by a recognized governing body are required for application.

Government Authorised Exchange Visa

This category is for individuals participating in approved schemes aimed at knowledge sharing, experience exchange, best practices, and experiencing the UK’s social and cultural life. Eligible purposes for the Government Authorised Exchange Visa include work experience, training, participation in an Overseas Government Language Program, or research through a government-authorized exchange program. You must be sponsored by a licensed UK sponsor, and the visa can grant a stay of either 12 or 24 months, depending on the specific scheme.

International Agreement Worker Visa

The International Agreement Worker Visa covers individuals contracted to work in the UK under agreements governed by international law. This includes roles such as working for a foreign government or providing contractual services as a contractual service supplier. Eligibility depends on various factors, including whether the work falls under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) or similar international agreements. Stay durations vary, with some workers allowed up to 2 years, while others are limited to 6 months within a 12-month period.

Charity Worker Visa

Designed for overseas nationals planning to undertake voluntary work for registered charities in the UK, the Charity Worker Visa allows unpaid and temporary activities. Holders of this visa can stay in the UK for up to 12 months.

Religious Worker Visa

The Religious Worker category caters to individuals coming to the UK for religious activities, including preaching, pastoral or non-pastoral work, or work within a religious order, such as a monastery or convent. Unlike the Charity Worker Visa, Religious Worker Visa holders can receive payment for their services, and this visa can be valid for up to 24 months.

Seasonal Worker Visa

The Seasonal Worker Visa permits foreign nationals to come to the UK for up to 6 months to engage in agricultural work, which includes tasks like packaging fruits and vegetables and other farm-related activities. This category was initially piloted in 2019, and 2021 saw an expansion of the scheme, with 30,000 seasonal worker visas available, triple the previous year’s quota. While on this visa, you can work in the job assigned in your Certificate of Sponsorship and pursue studies. However, permanent employment or a second job is not allowed.

Youth Mobility Scheme

Distinct from other Temporary Worker Visas, the Youth Mobility Visa is tailored for young people from participating countries and territories who wish to experience life in the UK. These countries include Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Taiwan. Youth Mobility Visa holders can stay in the UK for up to 2 years, but this visa cannot be extended, and you cannot bring relatives with you. Unlike other Temporary Worker Visas, this category does not require a job offer in the UK. Instead, your national government sponsors your stay, and you need to score 50 points based on nationality, age, and maintenance funds. You must also be outside the UK to apply for this visa.

Eligibility Requirements for Temporary Workers

Eligibility criteria for the Temporary Worker Visa vary depending on the specific category. Generally, applicants need endorsement from a UK Sponsor, who can provide a Certificate of Sponsorship. Under the UK’s points-based system, applicants must score 30 points for eligibility, with 30 points coming from the Certificate of Sponsorship. The remaining 10 points require evidence of financial self-sufficiency in the UK, typically requiring at least £1,270 available in the bank account for 28 consecutive days within 31 days of the visa application.

How to Apply for a Temporary Worker Visa

Applying for a Temporary Worker Visa involves an online application process through the official government website. Applicants need essential documents, including the Certificate of Sponsorship reference number, a valid passport or other identification, proof of financial capacity (such as bank statements), and tuberculosis test results for applicants from certain countries. Depending on the visa category, additional documents may be required, especially if family members are included in the application. Biometric information, including photographs and fingerprints, must be submitted at a visa application center as part of the application process.

How Immigration Secure Can Assist You

Navigating the various visa categories and application procedures can be challenging. Immigration Secure offers expert guidance to help you choose the right Workers Visa category and ensure you meet all specific requirements for a successful application. Our services include comprehensive document checks, assistance with application forms, and the provision of a Letter of Representation to strengthen your case.

To initiate the process of obtaining your Temporary Worker Visa, please reach out to us or make an online enquiry. Our team of professionals is here to guide you through the entire application process.


Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Visa?

A Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Visa, commonly known as a T5 Visa, is a type of visa that allows foreign nationals to work temporarily in the UK under various specific categories.

Who can apply for a T5 Visa?

Eligibility criteria vary depending on the specific subcategory of the T5 Visa. In general, you must have a job offer or sponsorship from a UK-based employer or organization to apply.

What are the different subcategories of the T5 Visa?

The T5 Visa has several subcategories, including Creative and Sporting, Charity Worker, Religious Worker, Government Authorized Exchange, International Agreement, and the Youth Mobility Scheme.

How long can I stay in the UK on a T5 Visa?

The duration of stay depends on the subcategory of your T5 Visa and the terms of your job or program. It can range from a few months to up to two years or more.

Do I need a Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) to apply for a T5 Visa?

Yes, in most cases, you will need a COS from your UK sponsor (employer or organization) to apply for a T5 Visa.

Can I extend my T5 Visa?

Depending on your subcategory and specific circumstances, it may be possible to extend your T5 Visa or switch to another visa category if you wish to continue working or staying in the UK.

Can I work for a different employer on a T5 Visa?

T5 Visa holders are typically restricted to working for their sponsoring employer or organization. If you want to work for a different employer, you may need to apply for a new visa.

Is there a quota or limit on the number of T5 Visas issued each year?

There is no specific annual quota for T5 Visas. However, each subcategory may have its own eligibility criteria and limits.

Do I need to prove my English language proficiency for a T5 Visa?

Depending on the subcategory and your circumstances, you may be required to demonstrate your English language proficiency as part of the visa application process.

What is the processing time for a T5 Visa application?

Processing times can vary, but it’s advisable to apply well in advance of your intended travel date, as visa processing times may change.

Can I bring family members with me on a T5 Visa?

Depending on the subcategory, some T5 Visa holders may be allowed to bring dependents (spouse/partner and children) with them to the UK. The eligibility criteria and requirements may vary.

What happens if my T5 Visa expires?

It’s crucial to leave the UK before your visa expires, as overstaying can have serious consequences and affect your future immigration status.